Gentiva - They Killed my Father

Well, I agree with the other reviews. They left my father in my room to die for 8 days with NO IV fluids.

That's right, he lingered for 8 nights and 7 days with no fluid intake. Now I have to live with the guilt of my stupidity to let it happen because I had no one to help me, no family and was burned out mentally and physically and I should have known better.

Other terrible things happened but I don't want to go into it.

I now have these horrible memories day and night for the REST OF MY LIFE. I wish it wasn't too late or I would have gotten an attorney.

Product or Service Mentioned: Gentiva Medical Care.

Reason of review: Family medical care.

Gentiva Nightmare

2.8

REPORT THEM to Department of Health and the ATTORNEY GENERAL'S OFFICE ! Never trust them with yourself or your loved ones !

The BAD :They provide poor care purposely! They're contracted with Kindred Facilities to kick you OUT of their house to get more money in their facilities. THEY ARE A NIGHTMARE . They also got involved in my mother's Medical mal practice suit I just got her out of ?

They tried to prevent me from getting her TO HER NEW DOCTOR !! NEW NETWORK! Occupational therapist brought her a HARD SEAT to SHEER ON with a wound ? They wouldn't leave bandages !!

They tried to keep her housebound to qualify for medicare make her sick , recorded her as SICK. they rushed at me with their clipboards to sign for pay on days I called the office and said we NEED A BREAK ! Im a trained CNA/LPN and KNOW BETTER !! The Nurse said my husband was' unhelpfull'!!!

Because he wouldn't help change a bandage on my mothers bare rear end ?! ( He only gave her the ENTIRE BOTTOM FLOOR! ) DISRESPECTED my gentle hard working husband in his house ?! And there's more .No I don't want to be contacted.

The Good: admin office staff are competent ,caring, ,concerned make adjustments as needed , concerned for the need and desire to stay at home .

Never TRIED anything shady . Speech therapist excellent with integrity same with Bath aide ( caring ) PT -hard working , excellent .Male Nurse SNIDE Synister , and arrived unscheduled

Gentiva - Forgotten

I had a lumbar spinal fusion and was set up with Gentiva (Newberry SC) for PT. I was scheduled to have 3 months of PT and got 5 visits and they never showed back up.

I called and the secretary had one of the therapist (Gary) call me back. He blamed it on my insurance company and said I should have not been seen for the last visit (this was 2 weeks after the last visit). No communication with me on this. He then wanted to come out and do my discharge and I refused as my surgeon had not released me from therapy.

I immediately called my insurance company and was told I was authorized for 12 weeks of therapy. My surgeon was disappointed and made it clear he did not release me. I spoke with the Gentiva rep (Debra) who promised she would check into it and call me back- she never did. I then receive a bill for $587.

Everyone I spoke with said there was nothing they could do. I was clearly forgotten without accurate explanation or apology.

Do not use these people...they are dishonest, unprofessional and no good. Christie, PTA is the only good thing I can say about them- she tried and needs to work somewhere better.

Gentiva - Medical Care Review

Additional Fees

A cover up and liars. Don't hold your breath on the weekend as they may refuse to show up.

I have been the only caregiver for a 64 year old veteran with chf. He was retaining fluid and very weak so I brought him to the ER. They admitted and kept him for a week and he had requested to go to the VA Hospital. Doctors were taking tests but did not drain his fluid like the Veteran's Hospital always does.

He was confused because they weren't being straight forward with him. I spoke to head nurse telling them he wanted to know what they were doing. Two doctors came in thru the week while I was visiting and just told me he was very ill. No straight answer.

Next thing they send him home in an ambulance to start hospice care. The first night he was home he was on the phone with me and sounded fine. I do not live there but he has a roommate. The roommate told me that Dr Abassi had perscribed medications which arrived to the door by a young girl from a pharmacy.

A bottle of liquid morphine, lorazepam and hydrocodone and haldoperidol and another drug that was used for stool softening. I arrived the next day to find him sleeping and very sedated. A paper was left with those narcotics that said: CALL HOSPICE NOT 911 Colonial Heights Office 804 504 0031 I asked the roommate what drugs he took and he said they were told to take perscribed dose of morphine by syringe. He honestly looked grim and I was perplexed why they would deliver such serious narcotics with no one to administer them.

A girl answered the phone and told me that if I needed anything to call them. It all seemed too careless or odd that the roommate and the patient were left to figure this out on their own. I called to have a nurse come over who explained some things and said just call if I need and they would tell me what to do. Second day he had not been responsive but sat up unable to speak and he was twitching on his entire right side of body.

I called and person suggested it would be fine to put a lorazepam under his tongue. Now he was sitting with legs swollen hanging on side of bed back to unresponsive but breathing (he had never been responsive or able to talk now for 2 days) so I propped large pillows against his back to the wall and put a chair with pillow to keep his feet elevated. It was the weekend and I called again because his body was getting so swollen and his stretch pants were cutting off his circulation. His wrist band was so tight.

The roommate and I cut the wristband off. Then I started to really worry. I knew he had not had food or water for two days and by the 3rd day lack of water is dangerous. I also cut his pants up to loosen as they were cutting off his supply.

I noticed he had not had any bowel movement nor had he urinated for those two days being unconscious. I wanted to move his body from the sideway position back to laying comfortably on the bed but he was a dead weight and so I called them to come by and help. Some very young sounding voice on the phone said we can't come over to help because "We have two other people who are dying." I replied to him, "Isn't this what is happening to him too?" I asked if I could call the EMT's and he really didn't seem concerned and so I told him that is what I was going to do. I called the police station and explained that they had him under hospice but could they please send some men to help me move his body straight on the bed and also take a look at him.

They arrived immediatel. 5 very nice men in uniform pulled the firetruck up and also an ambulance. It took all 5 to pick him up to move him straight on the bed. They suggested after taking vitals he should go back to the hospital.

I was so relieved and happy they were going to get him there but then they said I must call a next of kin who had been put in the system as medical directive. All this red tape for Hospice! I called that person who had never been involved with his healthcare at anytime and may have come to visit may be twice a year! The next of kin contacted hospice and one of the nurses claimed (of whom I hadn't spoken to him about calling the EMTs but the younger person who said he couldn't come over) that all I called them for was TO ASK TO CHANGE THE SHEETS on the bed!

Absolute lie! 5 men were my witness that this patient needed moving and also assistance. Somehow they told his kin they were sending someone and the nurse who lied over and they were going to bring him to the hospital. This waiting time was well over an hour by the time they arrived in 30 minutes and then went in the room with a few young people with no one introducing themselves or giving any credentials.

All the long the patient was completely unresponsive but at least still alive. They were going through papers and marking things down on a clip board never saying a word to me. I found this surreal. The roommate and I were left in the living room and kept out of the picture completely.

I saw them trying to use the bedsheets like a hammock to move his body from the bed to this gurney they brought in from a long truck that looked nothing like an ambulance that had some lame blinkers on. They were really having trouble moving his body and I wondered why the EMTs weren't allowed to come back. They bumped his body around and finally got him on the gurney and the woman in charge shut the door because she didn't want me to see what they were doing. They bumped him down the stairs and got him in the vehicle/truck and transported him themselves back to the hospital.

I went to visit him that morning and he was sitting up and talking but groggy. I tried to tell him how odd everything was and how thankful I was that he did not pass away. The next of kin took the narcotics back to his house. I asked the Doctor by writing a note and asking the nurses to give the doctor the note why his kin took all those bottles to his house.

I also found the nurse that came in told me I can't use my phone to record a conversation with him and that it wouldn't hold up in a court of law. I tried to remain pleasant but I didn't understand why they were acting so defensive and peculiar. I wanted to make sure that this patient of whom was my friend and I had always helped him was being written off as much as for dead at that house and why all these weird things happened that night. I came back later to visit with a valentines balloon and a teddy bear for his room and was helping him cut his food and the door burst open.

A woman with a white jacket and badge and two security guards told me I was not allowed to see him and I had to be immediately escorted off the property. I was not allowed to talk to him by phone nor was his roommate! Orders of his next of kin they said! His next of kin took his cell phone also.

Finally one week later he has come back home and I was able to tell him what happened. His roommate and I are happy he is alive and well, but we will never understand the secret dealings that were going on behind that door. The patient/my friend told me they were telling him all kinds of things and that I had been causing trouble. If caring about saving his life and asking questions of why drugs are being sent to a wrong location with the kin who is not the patient is causing trouble then they must have been afraid of something.

They never responded to my request to help him that night until I called the EMTs who verified that man needed to get to the hospital. There is so much more that I can't keep writing it all. Do not allow these people to drop off narcotics or push you around or make you feel you are imposing on them.

Never forget Patient Rights and if you suspect they *** the patient up so they can't help themselves or they impede those of us who wish only to SAVE A LIFE (which I thought should be a priority regardless of what condition they claim the patient is in) Make sure you prepare yourself because they will turn on you and act very unprofessional, indignant and handle the patient in a manner I consider disrespectful and careless! Beware and stay away from these people!

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Don't sign LOVED ones up for Gentiva Hospice Athens Georgia!

My precious mother has been a heart patient with amazing fight and zeal and has had amazing care for 40 years from cardiologists, family and family Doctors and nurses. Under the advice of a Gentiva Sales person whom we knew from another place, I signed my mom up with Gentiva Hospice.

They promised her cardiologist would be the "attending physician." That NEVER happened. They said the earlier you signed up people the better they do and it wasn't like it use to be (just death care). That is not true. Then they sent a VERY inexperienced nurse to our home who never answered ONE question.

He always had to call someone. He brought doctors orders ONLY from their staff doctors who never met or examined mom, and NOT ONCE consulted our cardiologist. More than once, we had unwelcome "staff" who showed up, did nothing but say hello and have me sign their pad so they could bill. It's ALL about the money - not medical care.

When mom got high fluid build up, we took her to the ER as we had before for extra lasix and a catheter to drain it. All went well in the ER, then they put her in the GENITIVA HOSPICE wing of the hospital. There they took her off all 18 of her medicines and started pumping her full of morphine (even though she had no pain) and atavan to "make her comfortable." That's ALL they do. Since her diuretics and all heart medicine were discontinued all at once, she died a fast and awful death in 3 days - drowning in her own heart fluid while I held her and tried to get help.

Friends and family were stunned at her sudden death. Had I known this is how Gentiva Hospice operates, I would NEVER have signed her up for this horrible company and this hospital death ward. I immediately cancelled this service for my still living but sick father and got him a new primary care doctor and home health visits. I pray whomever is reading this will NOT make the same mistakes.

I can't get mom back. Get your loved ones real medical care. Do they get money or some kind of points for the number of people that die in their care - or on this wing?

I wonder.

Covington, Georgia, United States #1236092

Who do you recommend for care?

Gentiva - Failure to ensure properly functioning oxygen equipment causes death: DUH!

On Sept. 12 of 2015 I hired Gentiva (now Kindred I believe) Hospice out of Conroe, TX to provide at home services to my dad who was returning home from the hospital following pneumonia.

He only qualified for hospice services based on a diagnosis of Parkinson's. We decided to go with hospice care because I stupidly thought we would get more nursing support going home with oxygen. I badgered these people about making sure we had working equipment as well as nurses to train homecare staff and family in use of O2 equip. My dad died within two hours of returning home while *** Gentiva nurse sat at his kitchen table doing paperwork and never checking his machine for proper functioning.

It was not working. My dad was a career pilot, a jet fighter pilot in the Air Force for 25 years before going into the private sector. He was a supremely skilled pilot who was not afraid of anything about a plane. Only of loosing oxygen at altitude.

He had dreams of the oxygen failure the week prior to his death. GENTIVA HOSPICE FAILURE TO PROVIDE DUE DILIGENCE IN PATIENT CARE CAUSED HIS DEATH. The humidifier bottle was mis-threaded on to the oxygen equipment when he arrived home and the so called nurse never once checked it and ignored O2 sats in the 80s.

I fought very hard to get them to review all records which I have showing their negligence and they deny any responsibility because they can. Tort reform in Texas makes it impossible to get legal representation even though I have been assured there is obvious liability.

Product or Service Mentioned: Gentiva Medical Care.

Reason of review: DEATH OF MY FATHER.

Preferred solution: I want what I have been promised from this company and that is a face to face conversation with clinical administration staff to review records and answer my questions and, DEAR GOD, put a simple procedure in place so this never has to happen again..

I didn't like: Service, Staff and services, Equipment, Coordination.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #1200736

I'm sorry you had this experience, it's heart breaking and very negligent! I worked Gentiva Home Health, not hospice and I will tell you Gentiva over works their nurses, it's all about the numbers of patients and how much money Gentiva can get for their stocks and bonds!

KindredHealthcareCares
Louisville, Kentucky, United States #1200157

Hello, please know we take your concerns extremely seriously. I've passed along your review to the regional administration and I would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns directly.

Our goal is to respond to you within 48 hours. In order to address your concern in a timely manner, please send your contact information to joy.sautter@kindred.com Providing your contact information will help expedite our communication.

As an alternative, you may call our anonymous compliance hotline at 1-800-359-7412 to report your concerns. Thank you, Joy Sautter, Manager of Online Reputation Management, Kindred Healthcare

Gentiva is a failure

My father was dropped after a rough patch of 3 hospital visits in a short time. This ended up to be to his benefit because we went with another company and he is doing great!

They dropped him because those 3 hospital stays means to their data that they aren't doing well; truth hurts! Had they stuck with him their data would look fabulous! But nope they made a family suffer and an old man feel like he wasn't worth working with. I begged them to continue working with him, no!

They practically had him in a grave and his family feeling dreadful. Shameful!

Comments

Hello, I appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. We take your concerns seriously.

Our goal is to respond to you within 48 hours. Please send your contact information to joy.sautter@kindred.com and include the name of the facility you are reviewing. Providing your contact information will help expedite our communication.

As an alternative, you may call our anonymous compliance hotline at 1-800-359-7412 to report your concerns. Thank you, Joy Sautter, Manager of Online Reputation, Kindred Healthcare