Gentiva - Failure to ensure properly functioning oxygen equipment causes death: DUH!

Houston, Texas 2 comments

On Sept. 12 of 2015 I hired Gentiva (now Kindred I believe) Hospice out of Conroe, TX to provide at home services to my dad who was returning home from the hospital following pneumonia.

He only qualified for hospice services based on a diagnosis of Parkinson's. We decided to go with hospice care because I stupidly thought we would get more nursing support going home with oxygen. I badgered these people about making sure we had working equipment as well as nurses to train homecare staff and family in use of O2 equip. My dad died within two hours of returning home while *** Gentiva nurse sat at his kitchen table doing paperwork and never checking his machine for proper functioning.

It was not working. My dad was a career pilot, a jet fighter pilot in the Air Force for 25 years before going into the private sector. He was a supremely skilled pilot who was not afraid of anything about a plane. Only of loosing oxygen at altitude.

He had dreams of the oxygen failure the week prior to his death. GENTIVA HOSPICE FAILURE TO PROVIDE DUE DILIGENCE IN PATIENT CARE CAUSED HIS DEATH. The humidifier bottle was mis-threaded on to the oxygen equipment when he arrived home and the so called nurse never once checked it and ignored O2 sats in the 80s.

I fought very hard to get them to review all records which I have showing their negligence and they deny any responsibility because they can. Tort reform in Texas makes it impossible to get legal representation even though I have been assured there is obvious liability.

This reviewer shared experience about "death of my father" and wants this business to "i want what i have been promised from this company and that is a face to face conversation with clinical administration staff to review records and answer my questions and, dear god, put a simple procedure in place so this never has to happen again". innovateandrea is overall dissatisfied with Gentiva. The most disappointing about gentiva medical care at Gentiva was service, staff and services and equipment Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Gentiva.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Hospitals, Clinics and Medical Centers category for more informed decision or compare Gentiva to other companies on our site.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States #1200736

I'm sorry you had this experience, it's heart breaking and very negligent! I worked Gentiva Home Health, not hospice and I will tell you Gentiva over works their nurses, it's all about the numbers of patients and how much money Gentiva can get for their stocks and bonds!

KindredHealthcareCares
Louisville, Kentucky, United States #1200157

Hello, please know we take your concerns extremely seriously. I've passed along your review to the regional administration and I would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns directly.

Our goal is to respond to you within 48 hours. In order to address your concern in a timely manner, please send your contact information to joy.sautter@kindred.com Providing your contact information will help expedite our communication.

As an alternative, you may call our anonymous compliance hotline at 1-800-359-7412 to report your concerns. Thank you, Joy Sautter, Manager of Online Reputation Management, Kindred Healthcare

Gentiva - Birmingham Hospice - Terrible

Additional Fees

The Birmingham, AL Hospice branch is unprofessional and uncaring. They have their own prejudices and are very uncouth.

Do not expect them to communicate with the family on any issues. They appear to lack the training and/or experience to deal with patients with various illnesses and their family. A company this large is only concerned with the bottom line, i.e. increasing their revenue and not the proper care for their patients.

In my opinion smaller healthcare providers are better at providing that good one on one service.

With Gentiva you are only a number. My family and I regret choosing this company to provide service.

This reviewer shared experience about poor customer service and wants this business to read this review and look into the issue (if any). The author is overall dissatisfied with Gentiva. The most disappointing about gentiva hospice service from Gentiva was staff and services, employee attitude and response Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Gentiva.

Louisville, Kentucky, United States #1190887

Hello, I appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. We take your concerns seriously.

I've passed along your review to the facility administration and I would like the opportunity to discuss your concerns directly. Our goal is to respond to you within 48 hours. Please send your contact information to joy.sautter@kindred.com Providing your contact information will help expedite our communication.

As an alternative, you may call our anonymous compliance hotline at 1-800-359-7412 to report your concerns. Thank you, Joy Sautter, Manager of Online Reputation, Kindred Healthcare

Gentiva - Simple Review #1466472540

Marietta, Ohio 0 comments
3.1
Additional Fees

The clinical manager in parkersburg wv...She is unprofessional, rude and hostile.....Does not belong in this line of work!!!!! Corporate needd to termibate her immediately or record her calls so they know how she treats people on the phone!!

Gentiva is a failure

My father was dropped after a rough patch of 3 hospital visits in a short time. This ended up to be to his benefit because we went with another company and he is doing great!

They dropped him because those 3 hospital stays means to their data that they aren't doing well; truth hurts! Had they stuck with him their data would look fabulous! But nope they made a family suffer and an old man feel like he wasn't worth working with. I begged them to continue working with him, no!

They practically had him in a grave and his family feeling dreadful. Shameful!

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss bad quality of gentiva medical care. Gentiva needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned gentiva medical care in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Gentiva.

Comments

Our goal is to respond to you within 48 hours. Please send your contact information to joy.sautter@kindred.com and include the name of the facility you are reviewing. Providing your contact information will help expedite our communication.

Gentiva - No Communication, poor service

Charlotte, North Carolina 1 comment
1.5
Additional Fees

Gentiva was assigned by primary care as physical therapy provider for my parents. Seemed good at first left a lot of information concerning the therapy, then it all went in the hand basket.

Scheduling was a nightmare as my parents had other Dr. appointments and Gentiva was not flexible at all. Your choice is when they selected or not. It was clear from the beginning that the only concern was for medicare billing.

not my parents. Communication was impossible even after several attempts, customer feedback during treatment is not possible. Final notes by Gentiva contained falsifications.

Stay away from this company of you have any choice at all.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. ARingler1 is quite happy with information provided and stated that there is a room for improvement of service and lack of communication. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss bad quality of gentiva customer care. Gentiva needs to offer any options to resolve the issue according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned gentiva customer care in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Gentiva.

Comments

Hello, please know that we take these concerns very seriously and would like the opportunity to discuss them directly. I've passed along your review to the facility administration and I would like to follow up with you personally. Please send me an email with your contact information to joy.sautter@kindred.com Thank you, Joy Sautter, Manager of Online Reputation, Kindred Healthcare

Gentiva - Worst wound care ever

Tucson, Arizona 2 comments

The initial intake notes specified "skilled nursing 2 times per week for 8 weeks with an additional 3 visits as necessary. They NEVER came 2 times a week.

They only left additional wound care supplies if requested and then reluctantly. When they did come they barely had time to clean and pack the wound, were dismissive of the Dr.s orders, and they were rude to the patient. Repeated phone calls to the supervisor were either not returned or not given the consideration they deserved.

I WILL verify that the insurance company was not charged for 2 visits per week. If they were that would be insurance fraud in addition to the absolutely substandard care.

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss bad quality of gentiva customer care. Gentiva needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States #1306077

I agree, Gentiva provides the worst wound care ever. I get back to my client in a week and see that care has obviously "not" been provided properly.

The wound had tripled in size, nor had this fact even been reported! Did I mention this is after the fact of another wound they were providing care for led to losing two toes?

Really Gentiva, I know you can't perform miracles but please atleast do your job properly. I see the improvements in my clients with other companies, never with yours.

Hello, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. Please know that we take these concerns very seriously and would like the opportunity to discuss them directly.

Gentiva Hospice out of Carroll, Iowa

Council Bluffs, Iowa 2 comments

Stroke victim was suspected of wanting to commit suicide after pulling loose his PEG-tube feeding. Gentiva was called to place him into hospice and were told they had to ask the patient for permission.

They did and pt. indicated he wanted to live. Patient's significant other was a witness.

17 days later Gentiva was called a second time and with no family/friends as witnesses they placed him into hospice, discontinued his skilled nursing care/stroke rehabilitation without asking the patient nor informing the significant other of his change in status to "unskilled nursing care" which automatically cancelled all stroke therapy/rehabilitation. Patient died 13 days later after receiving only palliative medications (sedatives) and two days of opiates on a non-terminal patient.

This person wrote the review because of poor customer service at Gentiva. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Gentiva to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Gentiva and gentiva customer care for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Gentiva - Physical therapy

Carpenter, Wyoming 1 comment

i had complete right knee replacement 2 weeks ago. I live in the country in a very small town. My doctor recommended gentiva to come a couple weeks until I could go to a PT in town as there is only mine place in town that accepts my insurance and they were closed the week after my surgery.

The nurse called, faxed 3 times to gentiva about coming to my home. I never once received a phone call from gentiva. But now I will start PT 2 weeks after my surgery as they never called, etc.

I would never recommend Gentiva to anyone, if they can't even make a phone call. Very very disappointed!!!

Reviewer is in unhappy mood. Please immediately contact the author of this review to discuss poor customer service of gentiva home health care. Gentiva needs to read this review and look into the issue (if any) according to poster's claims.

Other people also mentioned gentiva home health care in their reviews. You may find this information helpful for further shopping at Gentiva.

Comments

Hello, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. Please know that we take these concerns very seriously, and would like the opportunity to discuss them directly.

I've passed along your review to the facility administration.

To expedite communication, would you please pass along your contact info by sending me an email? joy.sautter@kindred.com Thank you, Joy Sautter, Manager of Online Reputation, Kindred Healthcare

Terrible Experience w/Gentiva Stockbridge Location

Riverdale, Georgia 3 comments

The Stockbridge location has so many internal problems they can not possibly offer their clients anything beneficial. Very inconsistent with their client care, they do not return phone calls, they do not follow up with their clients, and they don't show up for all scheduled visits.

The employees that have worked there for several years, no longer care about what they do and the other ones have only been there a few weeks and have no working knowledge of the company. We've had more than one employee lie to our family about issues. We had one "nurse" show up w/o calling first and attempted to medicate my Father for no apparent reason. When I confronted her regarding her sketchy behavior, she begged me not to call the office about her actions.

She would not leave me alone until I assured her I wouldn't call! Of course I called and was told that person would never work in the area again because I wasn't the only person concerned about her behavior.

Well, she showed up at our house less than 2 weeks later! There are so many other Hospice companies in the area, do yourself and your loved one a favor, choose any other company but Gentiva.

Comments

I appreciate everyone taking the time to post their experiences with this company it has diffidently played a BIG part on my decision to use another company.

We've had problems too. Arrived unprepared at times, service was a little too "casual" and didn't show up on a more important appointment day when we needed it most.

I've passed along your review to the facility administration.

Gentiva - Simple Review #1456956334

Woodland, Alabama 0 comments

My mother just called me very upset. She said that she was dismissed from Gentiva services because she has bugs in her house.

I used to work for home health & went into houses that had bugs. I call this discrimination.

Review about: Gentiva Home Health Care.